Who We Are
Somali Disability Empowerment Network is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that assists the people with disability to build better lives through social integration, Human rights advocacy, skill development, and useful representation in all aspects of life.
To provide a platform for people with mobility disabilities to develop the confidence to lead independent, sustainable social and professional lives through awareness campaigns, education, skill development, disability rights advocacy, social integration and employment generation.
To see the people with disabilities participating in every aspect of the social, professional, economical and political lives
The world is making progress in tackling poverty. However, persons with disabilities are left behind. One in seven of us has a disability. That is more than one billion people around the world! 80 percent of whom live in low middle-income countries.
Based on our Humanity values and more than 20 years of professional expertise, we address poverty as a cause and a consequence of disability. We work in partnership to create an inclusive society for all.
The emphasis throughout our work is on local capacity development in poorer regions of the country. This increases service delivery in the fields of healthcare, education, rehabilitation and livelihood development as well as organisational development of partner organisations.
The organization’s broad goals are:
- To raise the morale and confidence of the people with disabilities
- To promote the equality of the people with disabilities to those without disabilities and eliminate the disability stigma
- To create awareness relevant to the social issues and rights of the people with disabilities
- To research and keep statistics on the issues of the people with disabilities
- To create employment opportunities by lobbying the private and public sectors
- To create a culture of volunteerism to cultivate support for the people with disabilities
Values & Principles
We uphold the following principles and values, and consider them the core of our existence:
- Sustainability, interdependence, and sustainability
- Transparency and accountability