Position Title : Lawyer
Date of issued : 20th Feb 2020,
Closing Date : 05th March 2020,
Reporting : Project Manager
Duty Station : Mogadishu
Line Management Responsibilities: Justice Promoters
Duration of Initial Contract: 12 months with possibility of extension.
Somali Disability Empowerment Network (SODEN) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization founded 2011 that assists the people with disability to build better lives through social integration, Human rights advocacy, skill development, and useful representation in all aspects of life. SODEN vision is to see the people with disabilities participating in every aspect of the social, professional, economic and political lives. SODEN mission is to provide a platform for people with disabilities to develop the confidence to lead independent, sustainable social and professional lives through awareness campaigns, education, skill development, disability rights advocacy, social integration and employment generation.
The lawyer will work on Expanding Access to Justice (EAJ) multi -year program funded by USAID. The program will strive to increase awareness and general knowledge of legal rights, human rights, and options for recourse, especially for people with disability, women, youth, and marginalized groups. It will respond to citizens’ needs by supporting civil society and government justice actors in sustainably improving the quality and scope of legal services. The focus is on developing services that assist citizens in achieving rights-based outcomes through both the formal and informal justice system. Working with government and civil society justice sector actors, EAJ’s ultimate goal is to increase the quality, reach, availability, and accessibility of legal aid services of legal aid service delivery in Somalia and Somaliland.
- Improved access to legal information through research, analysis and policy interventions
- Enhanced quality and reach of legal aid services
- Increased organizational and technical capacity of justice actors
- Increased sustainability of legal services.
Implementing Partners Are Pact and American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI)
Represent beneficiaries in criminal and civil litigation and other legal proceedings, draw up legal documents, or manage or advise beneficiaries on legal transactions. The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities as outlined in this job descriptions (beyond as needed and or assigned by his/her line manager) in line with SODEN values and strategies.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Analyze the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of legal precedents.
- Advise beneficiaries concerning claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits, or legal rights and obligations.
- Select jurors, argue motions, meet with judges, and question witnesses during the course of a trial.
- Interpret laws, rulings and regulations for beneficiaries and present evidence to defend beneficiaries or prosecute defendants in criminal or civil litigation.
- Represent beneficiaries in court or before government agencies.
- Present and summarize cases to judges and juries.
- Study Constitution, statutes, decisions, regulations, and ordinances of quasi-judicial bodies to determine ramifications for cases.
- Prepare, draft, and review legal documents, such as wills, deeds, patent applications, mortgages, leases, and contracts.
- Negotiate settlements of civil disputes and supervise legal assistants.
- Examine legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuit.
- Evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments in preparation for presentation of cases.
- Gather evidence to formulate defense or to initiate legal actions, by such means as interviewing beneficiaries and witnesses to ascertain the facts of a case.
- Prepare legal briefs and opinions, and file appeals in state, region and federal courts of appeal.
- Search for and examine public and other legal records to write opinions or establish ownership.
- Confer with colleagues with specialties in appropriate areas of legal issue to establish and verify bases for legal proceedings.
- Perform administrative and management functions related to the practice of law.
- Probate wills and represent and advise executors and administrators of estates.
- Act as agent, trustee, guardian, or executor for program beneficiaries.
- Help to develop advocacy strategies and implement SODEN advocacy policies and strategies.
- Supervise and lead justice promoters.
- Any other reasonable duties assigned by your supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills & Skills Experience.
Skills and Knowledge Management:
- Active Listening— Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking— Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension— Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking— Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving— Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Law and Government — Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Oral and Written Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
Detailed Work Activities
- Getting Information— Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards— Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems— Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Provide Consultation and Advice to Others— Providing guidance and expert advice to management or other groups on technical, systems-, or process-related topics.
- Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others— Handling complaints, settling disputes, and resolving grievances and conflicts, or otherwise negotiating with others.
- Identify implications for cases from legal precedents or other legal information.
- Provide legal advice to beneficiaries and represent the interests of clients in legal proceedings.
- Interview claimants to get information related to legal proceedings.
- Meet with individuals involved in legal processes to provide information and clarify issues.
- Substantial experience (at least three years working with a humanitarian/development organisation preferably in Somalia including significant experience as lawyer or legal affairs officer with highly reputable organisation.
- University degree in related academic discipline (LLB with excellent ability to design and implement legal program for a progressive organization like INGOs or UN Body.
- Skills, previous experience and knowledge of disability will add value.
- Ability to produce high quality reports in English especially technical reports
- Ability to work with limited supervision from line manager.
- Experience of working with partners and a participatory approach.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and computer literate, Somali is an advantage.
- Commitment to and be to understanding of SODENs aims, values and principles, policies and procedures
- SODEN is inviting applications from qualified/Motivated candidates who are interested to submit their CVs, qualification, recommendations and cover letters explaining, how they meet Job description.
- Each application should be addressed to: email@example.com
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. SODEN is an equal opportunity employer.
QUALIFIED DISABILITY AND FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!!!
Note: Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear.